UK Travel Advice and Safety

Travelling to the UK? Hold onto your hats – Crown Currency Exchange is here, armed with a travel guide that’s as essential as a good cup of tea for your British adventure. From navigating unpredictable weather to understanding the post-Brexit landscape, we’re about to make your trip as smooth as a well-aged Scotch whisky.



Navigating Crime in the UK

Let’s talk about the elephant in the room – Crime. Just like rain clouds in London, it’s a universal phenomenon. Petty crimes like pickpocketing, muggings, and phone thefts do occur, with summer being their favourite season. Other unsavoury activities include fraud and drink spiking. More serious offences like sexual assaults and knife crimes are unheard of.

This is how you can ensure your safety:

  • Keep your eyes peeled in tourist hotspots, airports, eateries, pubs, and public transport. Remember, complacency is a thief’s best friend.
  • When using credit cards and ATMs, treat your card like a secret agent. Shield your PIN, keep it in sight, and regularly check your bank statements for any unexpected plot twists. We recommend making sure you take cash with you ahead of your trip to avoid any potential issues, and also dodge the hefty fees ATMs charge for overseas withdrawals!
  • At bars and nightclubs, don’t leave your drinks unattended or accept drinks from strangers. Better safe than sorry!
  • Lastly, if something or someone seems off, trust your gut. Stay vigilant for any suspicious behaviour.

Cybersecurity Measures

In the digital age, your online presence can be as important as your physical one. While travelling abroad, cyber threats can be as real as pickpockets in a crowded market. Identity theft has gone digital, and you need to protect your personal data and devices, especially when using Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, or public computers.

And here’s a tip: social media can be a minefield in places with political or social tensions. You might find some local laws a tad harsh by Aussie standards. Some travellers have even faced arrests for their social media comments on political or local events. It’s best to steer clear of such commentary. Remember, discretion is the better part of valour.

Civil Unrest and Political Tension

Life is a riot, isn’t it? And sometimes, quite literally. Large gatherings and public protests have the potential to escalate into violence.

Here’s your safety cheat sheet:

  • Give protests a wide berth. They might seem exciting, but safety first!
  • Keep an eye out for the most recent news. Staying in the loop helps you stay safe.
  • Listen to local authorities – they know their turf best.

From April through to August, things can get a bit heated in Northern Ireland, peaking around the 12th of July, a day locally known as the ‘Orangemen’s Day’ or ‘Twelfth’.


While we all look forward to discovering new places, it’s important to stay aware of the realities of our world. As of now, the UK’s terrorism threat level stands at ‘substantial’, which is level 3 out of 5, indicating that an attack could likely happen. The roots of this threat primarily lie within three areas:

  • Ongoing issues regarding Northern Ireland
  • Extreme right-wing ideologies
  • Islamic extremism

In light of this, London’s key bridges are equipped with security barriers for protection.

As travellers, our safety lies in our vigilance. So, here’s what you can do:

  • Keep your eyes and ears open to any potential signs of danger.
  • If you spot anything suspicious, such as unattended bags on public transport or in other public places, don’t hesitate to report it to the police.
  • Stay updated with official warnings and advisories.
  • Always follow the guidance provided by local authorities.

International Terrorism

Exploring the world is an adventure, but it’s crucial we remain aware and informed. International security terrorism is a reality that we, unfortunately, can’t ignore. Attacks have occurred in various European cities, targeting places that are typically bustling with activity. These include:

  • Airports and airlines
  • Public transport systems and major transport hubs
  • Sporting arenas and large public gatherings, including spots frequented by tourists.

Climate and Natural Disasters

The United Kingdom might not be the land of hurricanes and typhoons, but it sure knows how to throw a weather tantrum. You can expect anything from strong winds and flooding to rain and snowstorms.

These weather events can cause transport disruptions that might throw a spanner in your travel plans.

So, what’s the game plan?

  • Keep an eye on local media for weather reports.
  • Listen to what the local authorities have to say.

And here’s a pro tip: Sign up for the Global Disaster Alert and Coordination System. They’ll keep you in the loop about any major and/or severe disasters.


Mental and Physical Health

Before you embark on your journey, take a moment to assess your mental and physical health, particularly if you are diagnosed with a pre-existing medical condition.

A visit to a travel clinic or your personal doctor should be on your pre-travel checklist. Here’s what to do:

  • Schedule a general health check-up.
  • Discuss how your travel arrangements might impact your well-being.
  • Complete any necessary vaccinations. Make sure you undertake this at least 8 weeks prior to your departure.

Feeling overwhelmed? The Samaritans are there to lend an ear, with private phone support available 24/7. Just dial 116 123 – it’s a free call.

Now, if you’re feeling particularly concerned about your well-being or that of another Aussie, don’t hesitate to reach out to the 24-hour Consular Emergency Centre at +61 2 6261 3305. Alternatively, you can contact your nearest Australian High Commission, Consulate, or Embassy to learn about counselling services and hotlines in your area.

Remember, taking care of your health isn’t just about packing a first aid kit. It’s about preparing and caring for your mind as well.

Travel Insurance

Travel insurance isn’t just a box to tick off. It’s as essential as your passport. Ensure you have travel insurance in place before you travel abroad.

Ensure that your policy covers all overseas medical costs, which include the dreaded but necessary medical evacuation. Remember, the Australian Government will not swoop in to cover these expenses.

Here’s a golden rule: If you can’t afford travel insurance, you can’t afford to travel. This is non-negotiable, regardless of how fit and healthy you are.

Without insurance, you may end up with a substantial medical bill amounting to thousands of pounds for your healthcare.

So, what should you double-check?

  • The care and activities your insurance covers.
  • That your insurance has your back for the entire duration of your trip.
  • If you or your travel buddy contracts the virus, your travel insurance will cover COVID-19 cancellations.

Peace of mind is priceless, especially when you’re exploring the world!


When it comes to medication, not everything that’s readily available in Australia will be on the shelves in most countries. In fact, some of them might even be considered controlled or illegal substances, even with a prescription from your Aussie doctor.

If you’re planning to bring your medicines along, do a quick check to make sure it’s allowed in the United Kingdom. And don’t forget to pack enough for the duration of your trip.

To avoid any hiccups, carry a copy of your medical prescription and a letter from your personal doctor dated and stating:

  • The name of the medication
  • The dosage you require
  • Confirmation that it’s for your own use

For more guidance on medication rules, head over to the United Kingdom Home Office’s website.

Health Risks

The COVID-19 virus continues to be a significant health concern in the United Kingdom. Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Wales governments are urging citizens and tourists to adhere strictly to their specific public health guidelines.

For more detailed information, consider checking out these resources:

Addressing Other Health Concerns

When it comes to other health matters, the risks you might encounter are generally comparable to those you’d find back home in Australia. So, just as you would take care of your health on home turf, continue to do so while abroad.

Medical Care

Accessing Medical Facilities

You’ll be pleased to know that the quality of hospitals and medical facilities in the UK is on par with what you’re accustomed to in Australia.

If you’re unsure where the closest GP hospital or surgery is, don’t hesitate to ring up the National Health Service at 111. They’re there to guide you.

And remember, if you find yourself in need of immediate medical attention, head straight to the nearest hospital. Your health should always be your top priority.

Utilising National Health Service

Good news for Australians visiting the UK! A reciprocal healthcare agreement exists between our countries, allowing you access to some hospital and GP treatments free of charge during a short stay.

To understand what’s covered under this agreement, have a look at the Department of Human Services website. Please remember that you will need to provide proof of your eligibility.

However, do note that this agreement does not extend to other EU countries.

If your stay in the UK exceeds six months, payment of the Immigration Health Surcharge is mandatory when applying for your visa.

Once your visa is granted, the NHS will receive your information, allowing you to receive medical treatment. When seeking healthcare through this program, you will need to present your biometric residence permit at the doctor’s office or hospital.

Please note that there might be delays in accessing NHS medical treatment due to a backlog caused by COVID-19.

Lastly, it is vital to comprehend that the NHS does not provide coverage for the expenses of medical evacuation, which can be considerably costly. Hence, we highly advise obtaining comprehensive travel insurance prior to leaving Australia.

Local Laws

Local Law

Understanding Local Laws

While travelling, it’s important to remember that you will be subject to the laws and penalties of the local jurisdiction, some of which may seem stricter compared to Australian standards. Especially if you’re planning a longer stay, it’s worth taking the time to familiarise yourself with local regulations.

In the unfortunate event that you are arrested or incarcerated, rest assured that the Australian Government will make every effort to provide assistance, as per Smartraveller’s Consular Services Charter. However, please note that our influence is limited, and we are unable to extricate you from legal trouble or secure your release from jail.

Substance Regulations (Drugs)

Please be aware that the consequences for possession, usage, or trafficking illegal drugs or substances are quite serious. The drugs penalties can range from substantial fines to incarceration. Always prioritise your safety and abide by local laws.

Australian Laws

Understanding Australian Laws Abroad

It’s crucial to remember that certain criminal laws in Australia continue to apply, even when you’re out of the country. If these laws are violated while overseas, you could be held accountable and face legal proceedings upon your return to Australia. Safety and respect for the law should always be a priority, no matter where you are.

Dual Citizenship

Please note that the United Kingdom acknowledges and accepts the concept of dual citizenship. This means you can simultaneously be a citizen of the UK and another country.



Understanding Brexit

Both the United Kingdom and the European Union offer regular updates on how Brexit might affect various aspects such as employment, education, travel, and living arrangements. To stay informed about the latest developments, it’s recommended to visit the official European Commission and UK Government websites. They are reliable sources that provide up-to-date information on all matters related to Brexit.

Visas and Border Measures

Each territory or country has the authority to determine who can cross its borders. To gain specific details about what documentation you’ll require to allow entry to a foreign country, it’s advised to consult with the closest immigration department, consulate, or embassy of your destination.

It’s essential to comply with all exit and entry requirements. Failure to do so might result in a situation where the Australian Government is unable to assist you.

If you are planning a tourist visit to the United Kingdom for under six months, a visa is typically not required.

However, if your UK travel plans involve purposes other than tourism, it’s advisable to reach out to the United Kingdom’s Visa and Immigration Service for guidance on visa procurement.

Keep in mind that the UK has the authority to refuse entry without a visa if they suspect your intentions extend beyond tourism. If your plans include unpaid or paid work, volunteering, or getting married, you’ll need to secure a visa prior to your travel.

Unfortunately, officials from the Australian Government cannot help you alter your United Kingdom visa status.

Be aware that exit and entry conditions can change without much warning. For details about customs, currency, and visas, connect with the UK High Commission.

Departure from the United Kingdom

It’s crucial to maintain communication with your airline to stay updated on any disruptions, as these can happen unexpectedly.

Ensure you verify your travel route meticulously with Smartraveller, your travel agent, and your travel provider to ascertain any entry or transit requirements.

Certain countries may still require travellers to provide negative COVID-19 test results or evidence of vaccination before departure. If you have been vaccinated in the United Kingdom, make sure to get your NHS COVID Pass through the NHS app ((please note that this is separate from the COVID-19 app by NHS) and show it to the relevant authorities.

The QR code on the digital pass is valid for 30 days but can be renewed at any point. Some countries may not accept the digital version if it’s a PDF that has been downloaded. In such cases, you can request a COVID Pass letter from the NHS, which does not have an expiration date.


Passport Validity

There are countries that may deny your entry unless your passport remains valid for at least six months beyond your intended departure date from that country. This rule might be applicable even if you are merely transiting or making a stopover.

Just so you know, some foreign airlines and governments might not always enforce this rule. That means you could end up getting different advice from different sources. And if your passport doesn’t have at least six months of validity, well, let’s just say you might find yourself in a bit of a pickle.

Please note that these rules are not set by the Australian Government. It’s always wise to verify the expiry date of your passport before you travel abroad. If it’s doubtful that your passport will remain valid for the required duration, it might be prudent to consider renewing your passport.

Addressing Lost or Stolen Passports

More than just a travel document, your passport is a valuable asset. Its significance makes it appealing to those who might attempt to misuse your identity for illicit activities.

Be aware that there could be attempts to deceive you into parting with your passport. It’s crucial always to keep it securely stored.

Should you find yourself in the unfortunate situation of losing your passport or having it stolen, inform the Australian Government immediately:

Passport Featuring ‘X’ Gender Identifier

Although Australian passports comply with international standards for gender and sex classifications, we cannot guarantee that a passport with ‘X’ marked in the sex field will be universally accepted for transit or entry by all other countries.

We strongly advise reaching out to the nearest consulate, embassy, or high commission of your intended destination before arriving at the border. This will ensure that authorities recognise passports with ‘X’ as a gender indicator.

Other Formalities

When travelling with an Australian ePassport, you’ll be able to use the eGates upon your arrival in the United Kingdom at no extra cost. There’s also no need to fill out a landing card.

If you meet the following criteria, you can use eGates:

  • Be a registered traveller service member
  • Hold an Australian ePassport and be over 12 years old.

However, a stamp on your passport will be required if you are:

  • Visiting for specific reasons or certain types of work (examples include possessing a Tier 5 Creative and Sporting certificate of sponsorship or Permitted Paid Engagements)
  • Visiting for short-term studies (less than 6 months)
  • Travelling with a Document of Identity travel document or an emergency passport


Certain airports have implemented increased security measures that affect individuals departing from the United Kingdom or transiting through. For detailed information, please consult the United Kingdom’s Department of Transport.

UK airports have rigorous security screening procedures in place. If you’re travelling to the UK, it is advisable to allow extra time for this process. You can also expect thorough luggage checks and screening when you depart for the United Kingdom.

For more information, visit United Kingdom Visas and Immigration and familiarise yourself with the United Kingdom’s hand luggage regulations. For further clarification, don’t hesitate to reach out to your travel provider or airline.

Local Travel

Please be aware that strikes are a common occurrence across various sectors, such as hospitals, public transportation, and ambulance services. We recommend checking Transport for London or National Rail websites for the most current updates on service disruptions

Extreme weather conditions can also impact train, airline, and bus services. To stay informed, make sure you are keeping an eye on transport providers in your current area for the latest information.

Road Travel

The condition of roads and safety measures in the UK are quite similar to those in Australia. We advise you to adhere to the guidance provided by local authorities for a smooth and safe journey.

Driving Permit

You’re permitted to drive a motorbike or car for a period of up to a year, given you hold an Australian licence specific to the vehicle you’re using. However, once this 12-month period ends, obtaining a United Kingdom driver’s licence will be necessary. Please note that an International Driving Permit is not required for this.

If you are using a motorcycle, kindly ensure you always have a helmet on for your safety.


Regrettably, there have been instances of robberies and sexual assaults reported in unlicensed taxis. For your safety and peace of mind, we strongly recommend only using taxis that are officially marked and licensed.

Air Travel

While the Australian Government does not offer specific information regarding the safety of individual flight paths or commercial airlines, you’re not without resources.

For comprehensive data on the United Kingdom’s air safety profile, we recommend visiting the Aviation Safety Network. This will provide you with the most current and accurate information for your air travel plans.

Rail Travel

The rail network in the UK is quite expansive, providing a convenient means of transport. However, please be aware that services can sometimes be impacted by industrial strikes, inclement weather, or ongoing maintenance work.

To stay updated on the latest service changes, we recommend checking the Transport for London or the National Rail websites regularly.


Understanding Money Matters

The Pound Sterling (GBP) is the official currency in use. So, if you need help with AUD to GBP conversions, Crown Currency Exchange is your go-to provider. Find out more about buying GBP with us here.

You’ll also find debit and credit cards are broadly accepted, and ATMs are readily available. But still, having travel money before your departure is a sensible move – giving you an unfair advantage when securing the best exchange rates.

Money Regulations

When travelling to or from a non-EU country, it is crucial to declare any currency equivalent to €10,000 or more. This regulation applies to all types of currency, not just physical cash. Please be aware that failure to declare such amounts could result in a penalty.

Local Contacts


Handling Emergencies

In the event of an emergency, it’s crucial to know who to reach out to. Depending on your specific needs, you may need to contact:

  • Your family
  • Your friends
  • Your insurance provider
  • Your travel agent
  • Your airline
  • Your employer

For emergencies requiring medical emergencies assistance, police intervention, or fire and rescue services, dial 999 promptly.

If you ever find yourself a victim of a crime, make sure you get a detailed police report for future reference. Your insurance company should have an around-the-clock emergency services number for immediate help.

In situations involving criminal issues that are not urgent emergencies:

  • To anonymously report a crime, call Crimestoppers at 0800 555 111
  • Dial 101 to reach the local police

Knowing who to call can greatly reduce stress in emergency situations.

Consular Contacts

For an understanding of how the Australian Government can assist you while you’re overseas, we recommend perusing the Consular Services Charter.

The Australian High Commission in London is a valuable resource for Australians abroad. Their contact details are as follows:

Address: Australia House, Strand, London WC 2B 4LA, United Kingdom

Fax: (+44 20) 7887 5559

Phone: (+44 20) 7379 4334

Social Media:


Remember to visit the High Commission’s website for information regarding any potential temporary closures and their opening hours

If you ever find yourself in a consular emergency and can’t get hold of an embassy, no need to stress. Just give a ring to the 24-hour Consular Emergency Centre at:

  • 1300 555 135 within Australia
  • +61 2 6261 3305 from overseas

These resources are here to support you throughout your travels.

The content of this article is general and provided for information purposes only. Crown Currency Exchange (CCE) doesn’t guarantee or warrant the accuracy, completeness or currency of the articles.

This article may contain hyperlinks to other websites owned or operated by third parties, or references to third party products or services. CCE is not responsible for, and makes no recommendation about, the content or accuracy of any third party website, or for the suitability or performance of any product or service. The inclusion of a link in this article doesn’t imply that CCE endorses the website or third party product/service.

Let's discuss your currency needs

Fill out the form or call us to arrange your complimentary consultation.

© 2024 Crown Currency Exchange.  
All Rights Reserved.

Translate this site