With a rich history, beautiful landmarks, and incredible scenery, Turkey is on many keen globetrotters’ must-visit lists. But do you need a visa to visit Turkey if you’re travelling from Australia?
Here at Crown Currency Exchange, we’ve compiled all of the information you need to know on whether or not Australians need a visa for Turkey. You’ll also find a list of the documents you need to apply, how to apply, and more.
Do Australian Citizens Need a Visa for Turkey?
The quick answer to this question is yes, Australians do need a visa to enter Turkey. You must apply for an e visa ahead of your visit, allowing plenty of time to complete the form, have immigration officers process the visa application, and finally receive it.
What Type of Visa Do I Need for Turkey?
Depending on the purpose of your visit, there are several different types of visas you can apply for when travelling to Turkey from Australia. These are:
- Turkey Tourist Visa: Also known as an e visa, this is the visa you should apply for if you’re visiting Turkey for pleasure or visiting friends and family. This is one of the easiest visas to apply for and requires the least amount of documentation.
- Turkey Work Visa: You’ll need to apply for a Turkey Work Visa if you’re travelling for business or trade or if you’re spending any time working in the country. It is important to note, however, that this type of visa is only valid for a maximum of 90 days.
- Turkey Student Visa: Also valid for 90 days, a Turkey Student Visa permits you to study in the country. You must also apply for a residence permit once you arrive in Turkey with this visa.
- Turkey Transit Visa: This is the visa you’ll need to apply for if you are travelling through Turkey to catch a flight to another country, allowing you to layover. The earliest you can apply for this type of visa is two months before the date you intend to arrive in the country.
What Documents Are Needed to Apply for a Visa to Turkey?
When it comes to applying for your visa to Turkey, there are certain documents the Turkish Government requires in order to process your application and grant access to the country. To help make things as easy as possible, we’ve listed the required documents below:
- Passport: You’ll need to provide a valid passport alongside your visa application, which must be valid for at least six months following the date you enter Turkey. It must also have a minimum of two unused pages to allow for verification stamps. Any passport that doesn’t have these requirements will need to be renewed.
- Purpose of visit: Whether you’re travelling for pleasure, work, or study, you’ll need to provide documentation that confirms this. For instance, if travelling for work, a written statement from your employer, or if travelling for study, a written statement from your school.
How Do I Apply for a Visa to Turkey?
The application for an e Visa is pretty straightforward and can be completed online. However, one of the most important things to remember is that processing and granting a visa can take a fair amount of time, particularly if you’re applying during peak season. With this in mind, be sure to apply for your visa at least four weeks before your departure date.
Here’s what you need to do to apply for a visa to Turkey:
- Complete the application form: This can be done online by visiting the official Turkey immigration website. During this process, you’ll need to select the type of visa you wish to apply for and supply your personal information.
- Submit documents: Alongside your application form, you’ll need to submit scanned copies of your supporting documents. This includes your passport, written statements, and any other information you’ve been asked to provide regarding the purpose of your visit.
- Make payment: Once you have completed your form, submitted your documents, and checked everything, you’ll need to pay before your visa can be processed. This can be done by credit card or debit card on the website.
- Receive your visa: Once your application has been processed, you will receive notification of your visa status to the email address provided on your application form. You should print out a copy of your e visa and take this with you, as it may be required by the immigration officers when you arrive in Turkey.
What Happens if I Attempt to Travel to Turkey Without a Visa?
Anyone who attempts to enter Turkey from Australia without a valid visa will not be able to make it through immigration at the airport. You will be held in the airport until a flight becomes available to return you to your last departure port.
Visas cannot be granted at the airport, and it should also be noted that as of April 2014, visas will no longer be issued upon arrival. As such, you’ll need to make sure you have a printed copy of your visa ready to show immigration officers upon arrival.
How Long Can I Stay in Turkey With a Valid Visa?
This depends on the type of visa you have. Work visas and study visas are valid for 90 days in total, so you’ll need to ensure your departure date falls within the allowed time. Tourist visas (e visas) are valid for 180 days, but you may only stay for a maximum of 90 days each time you enter the country.
Regardless of the purpose of your visit, you’ll need to apply for a visa if you’re travelling from Australia to Turkey. Luckily, the process is quite straightforward compared to visa requirements from other countries, but you’ll need to make sure you apply for the right type of visa to allow your application to be processed without delay.
It’s also a very good idea to purchase your Turkish Lira (TRY) ahead of your visit to avoid expensive airport rates. The best place to do this is Crown Currency Exchange. We have stores in 60 locations and offer competitive rates with no fees.