Do I Need a Visa to Visit Malaysia from Australia?

Are you planning a trip from Australia to Malaysia? It’s an exciting destination, offering lively cities, breathtaking landscapes and a rich cultural experience. But one question we often get asked at Crown Currency Exchange is: ‘Do I need a visa to visit Malaysia from Australia?’

This blog is here to answer that question for you. We’ll break down the Malaysia visa requirements, making your travel preparation a breeze and setting you up for a memorable Malaysian adventure. Ready? Let’s dive in!

Quick Answer

Good news for Australian passport holders! You’re all set if you’re planning a short trip to Malaysia and have an Australian passport. As long as your stay is less than 90 days, there’s no need to worry because YOU DO NOT NEED A VISA to enjoy the beautiful country of Malaysia.

Of course, just make sure to have your Australian passport ready at the Immigration desk upon your arrival. Upon entry, you will be granted a 90-day tourism visa, making it super easy to plan your trip without any extra hassle.

The No-Visa Visit: What You Need to Know

As an Australian passport holder, you’re in a great position to enjoy a trouble-free trip to Malaysia. But while you don’t need to go through the process of securing a visa for stays under 90 days, there are still a few things you should be aware of to make the trip as smooth as possible.

Here’s what you need to know:

Before Departure

Weeks prior to your trip, make sure to do a quick check of your passport’s expiry date. Your passport needs to be valid for at least six (6) months from the date of entry into Malaysia. If it’s expiring within that timeframe, make sure to renew it before you depart.

Upon Arrival

When arriving in Malaysia, make sure to have your return ticket ready. This is a requirement for entry and may be checked by Immigration officers. It’s also good to note that Malaysia has strict laws when it comes to overstaying your visa, so make sure to adhere to the 90-day limit.

Purpose of Visit

You’ll only be eligible for a 90-day tourist visa if your purpose of visit is for tourism, social visits, and business, not for employment. If you’re planning to work or study in Malaysia, you’ll need to obtain the necessary visas beforehand.

Beyond the 90-day Limit

If you’re planning an extended stay in Malaysia, unfortunately, the no-visa privilege does not apply. You’ll need to obtain a visa before your trip and meet the requirements set by the Malaysian government. The good news is that they offer various types of Malaysia visas for long-term stays, such as student visas, work visas and retirement visas.

Tourist Visa Extension

If you’re wondering whether you can extend your 90-day tourist visa, the answer is, sadly, no. The Malaysian Immigration Department does not grant extensions for tourist visas. In other words, once your visa expires, you’ll need to exit the country and re-enter so you can apply for a new 90-day tourist visa.

Important Documents to Carry

To help you organise your travel documents and make the most out of your trip, here’s a list of important documents you should carry with you:

1. Passport

Make sure your passport isn’t about to expire – it needs at least six months left on it. This is a common rule across many countries to prevent visitors from being stranded abroad.

2. Proof of onward travel

This is basically something that shows you’re planning to leave Malaysia, like a ticket for a return or onward flight. It’s a way to confirm to immigration officers that you won’t overstay your welcome.

3. Proof of funds

You should have some evidence (such as bank statements) that you’ve got enough money to support yourself during your stay. Although you won’t be likely asked to present this, it’s always good to have it on hand as a precaution.

4. Proof of purpose of the trip

This could be things like your travel itinerary, hotel reservations, or letters of invitation. It helps to show why you’re visiting Malaysia.

5. Travel insurance

This one isn’t really mandatory by the Malaysian government, but we highly recommend it for any trip abroad. Because let’s be realistic – you’ll never know what can happen while you’re travelling. Travel insurance gives you peace of mind and covers any unforeseen circumstances like lost baggage, cancelled flights or medical emergencies.

For Longer Stays: Applying for a Visa

If your trip to Malaysia exceeds 90 days, you’ll need to apply for a specific visa, such as a working visa. To learn how to apply for a Malaysian visa from Australia, we suggest taking a look at the appropriate visa information page based on your location.

For those residing outside of these areas, you can still apply for a Malaysian visa through the nearest Malaysian consulate or embassy. Just make sure to give yourself ample time for the visa application process.


Are there any restrictions on activities while on a tourist visa?

Yes, as a tourist in Malaysia, you are not allowed to engage in any form of paid or unpaid employment. Additionally, it is prohibited to engage in activities that are deemed immoral or go against the national interest.

Do I still need a Malaysia transit visa when transiting through Malaysia?

No. Since Australian citizens are given 90-day visa-free entry, you’re free from getting a Malaysia Transit Visa. If you’re looking to step out between flights, just fill out an arrival card and bring it along with proof that you’ve checked all the entry requirement boxes to the immigration desk. Simple as that!

Can I leave and re-enter Malaysia multiple times on a tourist visa?

Yes, as long as your stay does not exceed 90 days within each entry. However, it is subject to the discretion of the immigration officer upon entry. It’s always best to have proof of sufficient funds and a return ticket for each entry.

Can I apply for a visa extension if I fall ill while in Malaysia?

Malaysia has got you covered with the Special Pass. This is a temporary pass designed for foreigners who need to extend their stay due to ‘special’ situations, like falling ill, having an accident, or if there’s conflict back home.

Keep in mind, it’s only valid for 30 days. But here’s the upside – you can get this issued twice, each time for 30 days, giving you up to two months to recuperate or handle an emergency. After that, there’s a final extension available for the Checkout Memo that’s all about “Making Arrangements to Leave the Country”.

Get Your Malaysian Ringgit Today!

Ready to embark on your Malaysian adventure? Make sure you have enough currency for your trip by exchanging your Australian Dollars for Malaysian Ringgit (AUD to MYR).

Crown Currency Exchange offers competitive rates and convenient locations across Australia, making it easy for you to get the money you need before your trip. You’ll get the most out of your money with no commissions and hidden fees.

Visit a Crown Currency Exchange branch near you to get your Malaysian Ringgit today! Happy travels!

The content of this article is general and provided for information purposes only. Crown Currency Exchange (CCE) doesn’t guarantee or warrant the accuracy, completeness or currency of the articles.

This article may contain hyperlinks to other websites owned or operated by third parties, or references to third party products or services. CCE is not responsible for, and makes no recommendation about, the content or accuracy of any third party website, or for the suitability or performance of any product or service. The inclusion of a link in this article doesn’t imply that CCE endorses the website or third party product/service.

Let's discuss your currency needs

Fill out the form or call us to arrange your complimentary consultation.

© 2024 Crown Currency Exchange.  
All Rights Reserved.

Translate this site